Fr Kevin Jones' Blog

Fr's Kevin Jones and the Christian family in the Crowthorne and Sandhurst RC parish.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Entry in to Myanmar Burma






The Prepostulants of

St Joseph's Convent

in Yangon

come out to meet me



On the second of October I flew into Yangon International airport. The airport had not changed a bit. The last time I was here, October 2005, there were notices up apologising for the inconvenience of the work being done to up grade the airport. They were the same notices in 2006 and nothing had been done. At the immigration desk there was a very old computer that I suspect wasn't working. I was looked at and was let through with no trouble and went through the customs with a sigh of relief. Sister Ann and sister Anne Marie were waiting at the other side and they whisked me off to the car park to travel to the convent in downtown yangon. We travelled in an old toyota half truck half bus, that had seen better days but was one of the good ones on the road. And I mention the word road lightly, very lightly, indeed. One could say that the majority of roads are really a lot of potholes joined together loosely by bits of tarmac. The main road from the Airport toYangon isn't that bad but just go off it to one of the side roads. Nightmare! I arrived at St Josephs covent in the morning met the other sisters, washed and then had lunch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home