Fr Kevin Jones' Blog

Fr's Kevin Jones and the Christian family in the Crowthorne and Sandhurst RC parish.

Monday, November 20, 2006

The Holy Name Parish Ashburton

The Holy Name Church Ashburton
















House and grounds of the Holy Name Parish















Monsignor Jim Harrington is the parish priest of Ashburton, Rakia and Methven. I first met him at the funeral of a priest in the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament Christchurch. Monsignor reminded me a little of Canon Hetherington and his dry sense of humour. He gave me directions to His Church and at the end he said you turn into Sealy Rd, pass the first church, then the second and then you come on to the real thing. He wasn’t kidding either as it was big. The inside was also very beautiful and tastefully re-ordered though over here they are into electric sanctuary lamps which looks a bit vulgar because of its size. The other thing that irks me here is that they have a fixation with white screens to display the hymns on. It wouldn’t be too bad if they were discrete but they are not. I’m afraid that it takes ones eye off the Altar and if you are the priest you have no idea of what the words are of the hymns as you cannot see the screen. I certainly hope it does not catch on in England. I think we might take it a little further and have a bouncing angel indicating what words to sing next.


The Church is the only grade one listed building in the town. It seems so out of place here and it tower dominates the town skyline but in a good way. It reminds me a little like the Holy Ghost Church in Crowthorne but on a much larger scale. Very Italian in nature. Inside lots of wood panelling and the décor is tasteful. The tabernacle is a little subdued but I think that is more to do with it surrounding wood which seems to get lost in all the wood panelling as does the Altar which is also wood. I personally would have had a cream marble Altar with a matching Stand for the tabernacle. The presidential chair gives one the impression of the priest is apart or even other from the congregation. But these are only minor details and the Church is well worth a visit if you are around Ashburton.


The parish here is totally different than the one at Christ the King it is very quiet and I am learning to be quiet myself, and not trying to fill every moment of the day with doing things. I suppose one feels a little guilty at having nothing to do but I am filling up my time with reading, praying and meditating on the wonder of God. I am reading the biography of Edith Stein which has been very enlightening. She, herself who was highly intelligent, well educated and well read, said that there was no better way to reach God than by sitting in front of the tabernacle and praying. My old abbot said a similar thing, “ There is nothing better to get nearer to God than bending your knees in prayers.” Books, retreats, lectures and studying ect are only there to help you get on your knees and pray. (My words) Edith Stein said that one of the reasons why she became a Catholic is unlike many other denominations Catholics use their places of worship, (Churches) to pop in at any time and pray. It is not just for Sundays


The people are very different from the Burnside parish who we would call the city slickers who’s nails are well trimmed and filed. The hands you shake here, the nails would be cracked and dirt engrained into the rough palms, through years of hard work on the land. There is none of your soft textured handshakes here, but a firm grasp that breaks my soft putty hand and that’s just the women. (I jest.) No here they are down to earth and keep themselves to themselves. One can see that they will find it very hard to change because they are set in their ways. Change especially in the Church’s set up would be abhorrent to them. The Monsignor here is seventy four and he is one of the younger old ones. I said to some of the elder parishioners that they have been retired since they were sixty five and yet you want Monsignor to do the work of a young man and is that really fair on him? Shouldn’t he now be able to put his feet up and enjoy the few years left to him, rather than taking on more parishes?

After the weekend Masses Monsignor says that I can go and see a little of the country so I phone Fr Kevin Wai in Whataroa who is please to have me stay with him for a few days.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an occasional visitor to Crowthorne and just happened to have an Edith Stein prayer card on my desk sent to me today in the post when coming across your blog.......a nice coincidence.....I am convinced also that you can't beat regular prayer in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament to 'enrich' your priestly ministry....the requirement for this on a daily basis seems to be in the newer orders that are attracting new (and often young) vocations such as SOLT and Fransiscan Friars/Sisters of the Renewal. I think it may well have been also something at the heart of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta's life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home