Fr Kevin Jones' Blog

Fr's Kevin Jones and the Christian family in the Crowthorne and Sandhurst RC parish.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Easter and the Last days in New Zealand
















Sisters of Carmel in the Palour.

















Arnett, Sylvia, Margaret and myself at the Cathedral
















The Sister's seating place in the Carmel Church
















Carmel Monastry and Church Christchurch.

Happy Easter Everyone. The Lord has truly Risen indeed Alleluia Alleluia.

I had a wonderful celebration of the Easter Triduum with the Sisters of Carmel in Christchurch. It was quite different from my usual parish celebration. There are only Ten sisters in the monastery and they are totally enclosed and they main work is the prayer of the church and the celebration of the Mass. I have been privileged this year to celebrate the Easter mysteries with them. There was a small congregation who also celebrated these mysteries with us and they were made up of mainly Samoans. The Choir was made up of Samoans who sang beautifully, so beautifully that I asked them to move over to our parish, they declined saying that they were quite happy where they were.

It must be hard for the sisters to control what is going on as the are totally enclosed, yet they manage quite well though when the altar servers turn up with only a few minutes to go it made it a little scary. However we managed. The sister are seated at the side of the altar and behind a grill. This makes it a little awkward when reading and preaching as one is always aware of them but somehow not being able to talk to them directly without turning away from the congregation in the front. The celebrations went really well and was prayerful and meaningful. It reminded me of my days as a monk in Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight. There is something peaceful about people who devote themselves to a life of prayer. There is also a sense of serenity and joy in their habitat which draws people to them. It is not an easy life for the sisters but it is one they embrace with the love of God which sustains them in the dark night of the soul.

After the Easter liturgy had finished I met the sisters in their parlour and had a good and at times amusing talk with them. It was here that I learnt that some of the sisters had been in there for over sixty years and had never been out of the enclosure. It is amazing to our society that there are people who are still willing to give themselves totally to God. They survive by making altar breads, Mass vestments and raising a few cattle. They are totally vegetarian and grow many of their own vegetables and fruit themselves. So in one sense one could call them very eco friendly.

They were very interested in what I was doing in New Zealand. However like all enclosed orders they knew what was happening in the local Church. It is amazing how much information they seem to glean from everyone. The sisters sat in front of me behind a grill the prioress first and the sub prioress at the front then in seniority going back to the most junior. We had a good laugh about the end of the service when I made all the congregation and them as well shout at the top of their voices with joy, That Christ has truly Risen indeed Alleluia Alleluia. We had to do it four time before we got the desired affect. So all in all fairly different from my usual parish celebration but just as moving as Easter always is for devoted Christians. Alleluia Alleluia.

After the 8.00am Sunday Morning Mass with the sisters I moved on towards the cathedral where I concelebrated the High Easter Mass with two bishops and the Cathedral Administrator. There was a small orchestra and a big choir who sang and played Mozart’s Mass for Easter Sunday. (Totally different from my warbling efforts.) It was magnificent and all carried out with great dignity, pomp and ceremony. It was a great occasion and the cathedral was pack to the gunnels. But saying all that I liked the celebration at Carmel for all its musical imperfections as it was homely. When one thinks of it one can not really compare the two. What it does say is that the Church is very broad and can encompass all forms of worship as long as it is done with reverence to God.

At the moment I am very busy saying goodbye to people who have befriended me in the parishes and packing up but I will tell you more of that in the next blog. Suffice to say that it is a sad time for Arnett and myself. We have spent a lot of time together and enjoyed each others company. It has been good for me to spend time with my only living close relation, which has helped us both to get to know each other very well and I will miss him. On Saturday I am off to Melbourne to Baptise a second cousin’s baby which I think makes Ryan my third cousin so will write to you all from there. God Bless you all. Alleluia Alleluia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home